Saturday, July 2, 2016

Wedding journey - the journey begins

On Friday we finally set out for the airport on our way to Greece for Chris and Dena's wedding.  Good flight to Dubai, then on to Athens after a five hour transit.
On the four hour flight from Dubai to Athens Andy had a two hour flight with the ever so patient flight attendant over the entertainment system.  Classic Andy.  His monitor wasn't working, so they kept resetting his system, which also reset mine and the passemger between us.  So every 15 minutes my film was interrupted and I had to start it again.  When this happened twice, and it was quite clear that Andy would not let this go, I gave up and read my book.  In the meantime Andy held up the whole of the food service and the air hostess tried to appease him.  I think he was more entertained by the attention he was getting than he would have been with the entertainment system!
After a short layover in Athens, we connected though to Rhodes.  It was a beautiful flight over the Aegean with islands unfolding below us.  As we circled around for our approach to the runway we could see the windsurfers and kite surfers racing in and out from the windy shore.
Arrived around 6pm to 30 degree heat and stunning clear blue skies.  It was great to be speaking Greek again as we chatted with the taxi driver on our way to the hotel.  After a quick shower and change I left Andy resting and went for a walk to the Old Town.
Rhodes was busy but not as busy as I've seen it before.  I found a little charm for Lucinda - a dolphin - in one of the many jewelry shops.  I then sat at a bar on the waterfront with my first ouzo for the trip watching the people around and the action on the harbour.
Andy joined me then we went to Meltemi for a light meal.  Fava beans, salted anchovies and saganaki melanzana.

No comments: