Friday, August 24, 2012

First night Antalya

First day of the big wedding trip.  Excitement mounting.  I wrote lists and crossed things off until there was nothing left to do.  Had I covered everything, Im not sure but I certainly covered everything I could think of....that was until I arrived in Antalya.

Good flights through Dubai with an upgrade to Istanbul.  Made the tight connection in Istanbul and it was when I arrived in Antalya that the wheels fell off:
For some strange reason the luggage of the people who had flown to Antalya via a connecting flight was put on a very small conveyor belt hemmed in by a glass screen.  There were 100 Turkish people with 100 luggage trolleys jammed into this tiny space.  They all needed to stand almost on the belt so no-one behind could see what was on the belt.  Then the luggage came out.  Apart from cases every person had a huge container of water.  Strange I thought, but I  then worked out that they must have been to Mecca and that this was holy water.  The women wore white headscarves and the men white caps.  There was none of the biblical (or Koranic) romanticism of water carried in clay on the back of a donkey, no this was a commercial water container, plastic wrapped and couriered by plane!
This slowed down the luggage collection somewhat.  At the end when the conveyor belt stopped, there were dirty pools of water all about, three weary passengers and no new red suitcase.

But the good news is that in my carry on bag I have a mother of the bride dresses, a bridesmaid dress, two pairs of matching shoes, the stefana, ribbons and my IPad.  I don't have sunscreen, hat and the other 100 indies pensive items that I packed after my endless lists.  
But there is always hope.

No comments: